Mark has over 20 years of experience in investigations and
How it all began
“My experience in investigations commenced as a Federal Agent in the Australian Federal Police almost 30 years ago. I then moved into operational roles in mining and was very much “on the tools” driving trucks, using explosives and so on before progressing into specific safety roles. This experience drives me to make sure that the interventions we recommend not only make a practical difference to the work, but also make sense to the workers.”
– Mark Alston
- Mark holds qualifications in management, safety, investigation, and auditing.
- Mark has worked with a diverse range of organisations, including Urban Utilities, the Royal Australian Air Force, Powerlink, TASNetworks, WEL Networks, NSW Health, Queensland Regional Councils, CBH Resources, Southpac International, BHP Billiton, Teys Australia, Rio Tinto, Macmahon Holdings and Mitchell Services.
- Besides being a consultant, coach and facilitator, Mark is also an accomplished public speaker. He has presented at Workplace Health and Safety Queensland workshops, Erik Hollnagel’s Safety II in Practice Workshop, AIHS Visions Conference, Safety In Action Conference, as well as presenting webinars for MyOsh. He has also been a guest on podcasts for the Culture Radar and Samuel Goodman’s the HOP Nerd.
- He has utilised a variety of traditional investigation methods including TapRoot©, ICAM©, 5 Whys and Essential Factors to investigate workplace incidents over the past 10 years.
- He has developed and implemented systems of work to manage incident reporting and investigation requirements as well as the training of operational personnel and safety professionals in investigation methodology.
- With an investigation process that now focuses on a systems approach, Mark has established a system of investigation that combines a Safety Differently approach with the principals of Human and Organizational Performance (HOP), to identify the true organisational issues that contribute to an event.
Why ‘Investigations Differently’
While working on the field, Mark recognised the need to provide high-risk organisations with a better way to facilitate workplace investigations and manage risk.
Thus, he created Investigations Differently.
With his team at Investigations Differently, Mark drives simplicity and quality in the products delivered. He engages with clients and their workers to help them identify and understand risks and develop engaging and practical control management strategies and bespoke training programs.
His strong operational background provides the foundation to understand an organisation’s needs and to develop programs unique to them that drive leadership and cultural changes.
With extensive experience in coaching and facilitation, Mark has a distinctive ability to communicate with all levels of an organisation and develop an understanding of how front-line work is completed. This allows him to guide an empowered workforce to develop practical, risk-based solutions.
What clients say
Mark’s focus on driving cultural leadership has been responsible for the development of high-performance teams providing corporate and legislative compliance assurance to his clients.
Thank you for delivering a great course. I’m pleased I was able to participate in the face-to-face sessions.
My way of thinking and acceptance of the practices we have at Sims was certainly challenged.
Mark, I think your delivery style is very relatable and the examples you gave throughout the course helped me to understand the content.
It was a pleasure to participate.
Rosa ManiheraSHECS Coordinator, Sims Metal Management
I felt the content of training exceeded my expectations. When being told I was doing an investigation course Online I prepared myself for plain text book exercises. I was pleasantly surprise with my group environment and the contents being used in the training sessions.
I felt the workshop was very informative and Mark was extremely knowledgeable on our subject. Truly enjoyed how Mark made us laugh often and had us engaged throughout the course. Completed this course with new tools to assist with investigations and reporting.
Vickie MellingWHS Document and System Administration, TEYS
Course facilitator was very knowledgeable and was able to relate to our workplace and he understood our current constraints.